Friday 30 December 2016

Mount Trus Madi via Sinua Trail, Sook Keningau

So this is my ultimate goal this year..was to hike the Trus Madi trail via Sinua, Sook which people said is one of the most challenging trail after Mount Tambuyukon. I already booked our date since October which is from 16-18 December 2016 for a group of 10.  Payment was made before the trip. We took the package 3 days 2 night which was not inclusive of food and transportation priced at RM245/pax. All arrangement for the trip can be made directly with Dennis or Dennis's wife Veronica at  013 5425415 / 013 5403262.

One can climb Mount Trus Madi from 3 different trail which will take an estimate 2-4 days to complete depending on the trail one pick. Wayaan Kaingaran trail in Tambunan is 4.9km from starting point to the peak, Wayaan Mastan Trail in Keningau is 4.3km from starting point to summit while Wayaan Mannan trail in Sinua, Sook is 11.6km from starting point to the summit.

Excitement and fear all roll into one as we made plans to meet up at Kimanis first on 16 December 2016. Since I was not convince that my petite axia car can make the journey, we decided to convoyed in 2 4wd vehicle which will take 8 of us and meet up with the 2 ladies in Keningau. The road to Sook was actually accessible asphalt road except when we arrived in Kg. Sinua. Then, thank God for 4wd vehicle because the road we came upon was a not so nicely maintained dirt road..we were being tossed around in the vehicle for a few minutes.. Thankfully, we were able to get there by 6 something when there was still some light so the signboard Sinua Trusmadi Tainiskon Camp was still visible to the eyes. We also had some help though from a villager who pointed out which way to go from the roundabout. The 2 gals from Keningau had already arrived 30minutes before us. So, uncle Dennis was not feeling well that night therefore the briefing was postponed to tomorrow morning. I showered and changed to my hiking clothes and we had our dinner at the recreational camp which even had a TV and cooking utilities for our convenience. Veronica who happens to be Dennis's wife was there to entertain our inquiries of the journey and she was really fun to talk to. I head to bed around 9pm and found out the rest of my friends have already fallen asleep.

Sleeping area for hikers at base campsite
The next morning we woke up early around 6am to eat breakfast and pack. Veronica asked us to bring any of our stuff that we would required porter service. I found out the day night before that the kitchen at campsite KM8 was quite complete so we left behind the mini cookers and bought the butane gas only. So food porter is basically service for 1 way trip..meaning you have to carry your stuff for the trip down. Personal porter is a 2 way trip. The porter service is RM6/kg and a minimun of 10kg per trip. So me and my friends, we combined our load to save some money and opted for the food porter since we wanted our food carried anyway. Now I could not stress enough the importance on bringing rice, tin food, maggi and 3in1 drinks if you have opted to prepare your own meals. The stove gas is available on the camp site at KM8 but we still need to bring our own butane gas. The 1st day is considered leisure hiking for 8km..the last 1km to the top was where the mossy forest started and I got excited seeing the beautiful landscape.

Recreational area at the base camp. Also where we had our briefing.

We started our trip around 9am after being briefed by Uncle Dennis with 3 young guides, I remembered crossing a bridge and 2 rivers..We took our shoes off for the first river but the second river was quite a short distance so we just balance on rocks to try and keep our shoes dry. The trails for the first few kilometres was okay but a bit painful to trek on because of all the rocks..they say it used to be a old road for transporting kayu balak. It started to rain halfway so we put on our ponchos and continued on. Initially we wanted to have our lunch anywhere around the afternoon but dummy me packed the rice I cooked for the group in the morning and gave it to the guide/food porter to carry. They were really behind because they were carrying heavy loads and also act as the sweeper of the team. So in the end we just ate what we have with us at the moment which were some candy and buns. The last 1km to the camp site was when the mossy part of the forest started and instantly rejuvenate your eyesight. I took out my handphone and placed it into a waterproof bag and start taking pictures here and there. I could also feel the air becoming colder as temperature starts to drop due to the rain and altitude..We arrived at the camp site around 3.40pm and spotted the first group at the kitchen Camp. The 2 of our younger membersof the group have yet to arrive. We headed to the sleeping tents to unload our bags and instantly I started to shiver because of the cold. We changed into dry clothes immediately. Then, I headed to the kitchen Camp which was just beside our sleeping camp..then to my surprise there were loads of maggi and coffee 3in1 left behind from the previous expedition. Since our food porter have not yet arrived and Burn, the guide gave us the thumbs up to feast upon the food..I went into chef mode and cooked a feast of maggi mee for the group with my friend as my Co-chef. We were starving since the last time we ate was breakfast. The kitchen camp was really complete..with cups, spoons, plates, pots, pans and kettles. We even boiled a kettle of water so to make black tenom coffee. Our evening feast consist of maggi noodles perisa ayam and black tenom coffee..God bless the good hearted souls who left behind all those food. They were life savers.

The camp sie at KM8

The kitchen camp area
The last of the group arrived around 5 something soaking wet and were immediately handed hot black coffee the minute they arrived. Around 6 something in the evening, we prepared our dinner. We used the many pots available to heat up each tin food..I could even add a little spice of onions to the fish sardines in tomato because there were even big onions left behind (Thank you kind souls..) We ratio the rice that was cooked earlier in the morning and thankfully it was more than enough to feed us all..Another pot of kettle was boiled to make 3in1 drinks. Into the night, all 10 of us were at the kitchen camp eating and chatting..the guides came to give us a briefing afterwards about tomorrow's journey. The time given to start the hike was 1am. Lester the guide said he have to see the weather if it continues to rain maybe the timing had to be postponed. We retreated to the sleeping tent around 7 something..The rain was so heavy, Tia's sleeping bag was soaked wet so she & Vet shared a sleeping bag together. Thankfully that night, it stop raining around 9pm..How do I know this? because I could not sleep..at all..Not with a proper sleeping bag..not with dry stoking..not with heating pads..the cold wind just cut through everything and I could not get any sleep so I just listen to music using my earphones to pass the time.

So all of us woke up before 1am, packed just the essentials and headed to the kitchen to eat our breakfast. By 1am we were all ready and informed the guides as well. But well, we only started the journey at 2 something which we assumed was because one of the guide overslept. We prayed together in the tent which was nice. That day we have to cover 4km to reach the final summit of Mount Trus Madi and then hike back 4km to our campsite..Pack our stuff left behind at the camping site and then hike down another 8km to our base camp. 
Our group photo before the summit attack
We took a group photo before heading out with headlights guiding our way..The first summit was 2km away. While the front group marched onwards, few of us opted to wait for the younger members of the group who had Lester as their sweeper. But hiking in the dark was no joke, at times it was peaceful, at times scary because you can only see the very few metres infront of you. The trail was just upwards..Its also actually a good thing that we are unable to see the trail in the dark because come daylight when I was able to see the whole trail, it amazes me how on earth did we manage to climb up some of the places. We arrived in Summit 1 while it was still dark and the stars in the sky was mesmerizing. By this time we had already break into 3 groups..The first group..middle group and the youngest at the group behind. At summit, the 3 of us just took loads of wefies and videos..the scene was breathtaking..no clouds or mist so everything was really clear..We caught glimpse of Mount Kinabalu far off. By this time, you can see the whole landscape of Mount Trus Madi which is so beautiful. The many species of periuk kera or pitcher plants along the way was one thing that I enjoyed seeing while hiking. But, there were few areas where the trail was quite dangerous..But it was a thrilling experience to say the least. 

The trail


Peak no.2 view
To say we looked like hell is an understatement, due to the rain the trail was a bit muddy so our knee high socks were drenched in mud. At 300meter to the final summit, since we were the middle group I came face to face with the guide of the front group.The front group have hike down from the summit so the guide insist that we followed them... to which I would not back down either because it was just a mere 300metres to the top. But I have to applaud the young guide, Burn for bickering with me, he was just merely executing his responsibility but I would bicker with anybody at that point just to complete the hike. The bickering at to the top lasted until Lester, the lead guide/sweeper turned up and said the magic words "I will bring them to the top..".

The 3 of us at Peak No.3

My solo pic at Peak No.3
So the first group went down and the 3 of us with Lester made our way to the top. The 2 girls behind successfully reached Summit 1 but were unable to continue the journey. At the final 100metres, there is a big cross erected to honor the life lost from a helicopter crash at the area. I waited for my comrades to arrived so that the 3 of us can step on the final summit together at the same time. Now one might say it's just a signboard..its just a peak. But that feeling of accomplishment that you made it through to stand at all 3 summits was what we were looking for. We quickly proceeded to take photos with Lester's help, in about 10 minutes we made our way down.

Halfway down to our campsite at KM8, it started to rain. When we reached our campsite ,the first thing I did when I arrived was go to the toilet..I just couldn't bring myself to pee in the mountains. My sister rushed towards me with a hot cup of tea when she saw me. Hahaaa. We were soaked wet from the rain. Lester asked us to rest and packed because he will bring us down while the front group could go down earlier since they have finished packing. We decided to leave all the canned foods and 3in1 drinks that we had not used  at the campsite for the use of future hikers. Who knows they might come in handy. There were 5 of us hiking down with a guide while Lester act as the weeper. But after some time, the 4 gals were behind with Lester while I and the middle guide managed to catch up with the first group. That is after 5km of turbo speed without rest..I thought legs would give away..then I saw him slow down and thought "Yess..he wants to rest.." But then he excitedly point out to me some people silhouette upfront..apparently he made me pushed myself so hard to follow his pace, we caught up to the front group before the river. So we re-group with the first group afterwards ..I thought the first river looked dangerous..then when we successfully passed through it I was so happy..I forgotten that there was another river up ahead and that was the longer one. When we arrived at the second river..my heart went into my stomach.. I immediately panicked because I saw the river had waves, turned brown in color and was much much deeper than the day before. All the rain had flooded the river. I knew I said it out loud what I was thinking at that moment "This is my worst nightmare.."  So the 2 guides took 2 bamboo stick and stood there in the middle of the raging river and made like a line so that there was something we could hold on to while crossing..I want to say that everything went well..but No, I actually slipped and fell into the river but thankfully I did not let go of one of my friend's hand...I have no idea how but miraculously they managed to get me up and my face never went under water. But my bag did and it was twice as heavy as I walked slowly to the riverbank. I knew my handphone and wallet was inside but I could care less..I was numb from shocked (Post trip I found out my handphone and wallet safe and sound because they were sealed in plastic ziplock, can't say the same for my earphones). From that point on we used our headlamp because it was getting dark..By this time, I could feel the pain in my legs especially when walking through the simen pavement at the final stretch of road. We finally arrived at the base camp around 7pm. I just sat there at the recreational area for some time, exhausted, in pain, in shock..everything..I remembered just lifting my feet to remove my shoes was painful..no leeches was able to bit my leg (double sock layer) or my body..But one leech bit me at my cheek though and it continued to bleed at the base camp..so I knew I looked like some corpse. After some time I asked about the 4 girls behind..how were they going to cross the river with just Lester. Dennis assured me that a rescue team will be deployed. With the remaining strength I had, I used it to shower and changed to dry clothes..but my hair was wet and the air in Sinua that night was very cold. At first after changing I sat with the other members at out sleeping area of the base camp..Then I got worried so I went to sit at the recreational area where the guides were all assembled..From time to time I asked them whether they have found the 4 gals..Dennis answered truthfully "not yet.." the rescue team was then deployed to locate them since they were not responding through the walkie talkie..and I knew Dennis tried to called Lester through the walkie talkie from time to time because I would not stop asking. At one point it was so cold, I filled my water bag with hot water and hugged it just to keep warm. After some time, 2 of girls in the group joined me and told me they had to go back earlier because they were working. So we bid farewall and I sat there again at the table alone. Afterwards, the other 2 guys came to the recreational camp and said that they had to get going as well. So It was just me and another guy friend waiting for the remaining 4 girls. We never left the recreational area until the 4 of them arrived safely around 11pm. One of them suffered from leg cramps so the team had to walk slowly to wait for each other. Lester and my sister worked together at the river to bring each member one by one across and I heard Lester injured his ankle during the process (God bless you Lester for what you had to go through to keep the girls safe). If I could pick the guide for the trip to Mount Trus Madi via Sinua, Sook, I would in a heart beat have Lester lead again. The dedication he showed during the trip is beyond admirable.

All our bags were loaded at the back of the 4wd vehicle, hoping they would not bounced off during the long drive. We thanked Dennis and his guide for their help, took our certificates and drive out from Sinua at 12am because my friend had to work that morning. I was supposed to be the co-driver but I keep seeing imaginary chickens and cows on the road so I was not much help. I slept on and off and I sleep more during the hours in the car then during the hiking trip. The ride home was memorable as well with occasional laughter due to leg cramps and delusions. Thankfully everybody arrived home safely including our driver who I knew arrived home around 4.30am and had only 2 hours of sleep before work that day.

The trip was a mixture of bitter sweet memories for me. It gave me life lesson about my own strength and human nature especially when put in brutal situation like this. I'm really happy that I was able to complete the whole summit until summit 3 with my close friends and all of us in the group were deemed worthy to received our certificates. The lyrics from a song by Tim McGraw "Humble and Kind" came to my mind when I reminiscent about the whole trip.. "I know you got mountains to climb, But always stay humble and kind"..
With that said,  I would recommend the Mount Trus Madi via Sinua Trail for adventure seekers..those 90 degrees cliff would make any bear-grylls fan proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment