Friday 12 August 2016

Mount Wakid, Tambunan Sabah

Mount Wakid, Tambunan, Sabah is a 13km hike and situated 1353 meter above sea level, it is a fairly new hiking destination right now..I myself heard about it from a friend who just returned from hiking there describing how challenging and rewarding the trip was for her and I was hooked. She forwarded me details in whatsapp form.It was an all inclusive package including guide fee, food and certificate at just rm80/person. (Those interested to hike Mount Wakid can just go to their facebook page https://www.facebook.com/gunungwakid/) I forwarded it to my group of colleagues and friends and the rest is history. We pick a date together and I arrange the rest by contacting the number in the whatsapp message and arranging our stay in Tambunan Village Resort Centre (TVRC). Fortunately the date we pick have already been book by another group of people so were able to combine with them to get the minimum pax needed. We had around 2 weeks to get fit..no idea why we were so optimistic about it..

We pick 25 June 2016, a Saturday to climb but we took half day off on Friday to make our way up to Tambunan and stayed at TVRC. The plan was to conserve energy by getting enough sleep. By being there in Tambunan early, we can take our sweet time to get to the meeting point in SK Sunsuron by 7.30am. Once we arrived, we can see that a few cars have park around the school field. There were villagers selling simple breakfast in the school area. But we already had our breakfast before coming there so some of us bought the food for lunch. Once our attendance were taken, we sat or stand in a group and the briefing was given by Mr. Jingkung himself who paved the way of Jingkung trail, a new summit said to be much longer and challenging  than the original trail.. He gave a very motivational and sincere speech about hiking mountains. My sister was especially touched by his words that it wasn’t how fast you get there, it’s the journey. Infact, that metaphor can be applied not just in hiking but in real life as well.

After that, we started the hike, only a few meters ahead, I saw my first obstacle in the form of a river. Apparently, we were supposed to be like Mario brothers jumping from one rock to another to get to the other side. I was no Mario and I did not want to even jump at first..But after seeing my sister successfully jump her way through, I jump for my life and there begins my jumping tale. It seems climbing Mount Wakid involves a lot..and I mean a lot of river crossing..at first we were still playing the jumping game but at one point, I was playing kick the river game. I just don’t care if my shoes were dry or wet anymore.

Now, when we arrive at our first rest stop, my friend said that her shoes sole were cracking..it was then that I check mine..damn.. mine had a straight line crack in the middle..my shoes was just a few years old. I had it and I’ll shamefully admit that I seldom used them until recently..when I started to join 2 marathons this year plus the hill climbing activities. I knew they look suspiciously worn out but I thought just one more climb..one more adventure..well that was stupid of me. So I silently prayed..please..please..break apart once I finish my climb..hold it together until the end of this climb. But as we hike along, I could feel pieces by pieces of the soles just teared away. In the end, near Jinkung trail I had to inform one of the guide that my shoes sole is falling apart..When he had a look, he said that they can tied my shoes to my feet using a rope..well, I thought whatever works.. But just as he walkie talkie with his buddy to get some ropes down, one of my friend said he had an extra pair of shoes in his bag..and lo and behold, it fitted me. So I was able to continue my climb without worrying about my shoes.

RIP shoes
 So Thank you God..woo hoo.. But then Jingkung trail is right in front and as we started to make our way up..I began to get flashes of regret..why am I doing this..why am I here.. my sister is making sure that I know exactly how she feels at that time by stressing the fact that I am not her favorite person at that moment. I even had to stop because of muscle strain in my arm, which the guide help by giving me some muscle cramp cream to massage my arm. Needless to say, the guides for Mount Wakid were extremely helpful and great, making sure that everyone is taken care off. Mount Wakid was physically demanding for me especially Jinkung trail but afterwards we were all smiles at the top.


The last obstacle after Jingkung Trail

After a light lunch, we continued on to the next peak which used to be the peak for station of the cross for the locals there. I have massive respect the villagers who used to have to climb the mountain there to celebrate the station of the cross..hats off to you guys. 





From this peak to the waterfall, it was quite steep and a few of us just went down slowly half crawling. The guide unsuccessfully tried to get us to stand up but we were determined to get down on all fours, half crawling, half grabbing roots and branches nearby to stop us from falling to our death.

 
Steep trail heading downwards
  The trail towards the waterfall was itself very steep but the water was so cold and refreshing, it made me forget about my aching legs for a while. When my sister finally arrived, she tried to drown me near the waterfall but I escape while she was shocked by the freezing water. I presented her with food as sign of peace offering and we rest a bit before our small group make our way to the finishing point..

Me and my sis

We arrived at the finishing point around 4.00pm where we change our clothes at the school toilet. The food included in the package was prepared in a nearby homestay. All of us enjoyed the home cook meal especially after the long hike. Then we got our certificates for climbing Mount Wakid from the guides. Once the tiredness wore off, the satisfaction and excitement of completing the journey kicks in. We enjoy our trip so much that we extended our stay in Tambunan to visit Mahua waterfall the next day!



Mahua Waterfall, Tambunan

1 comment: